Friday 13 November 2020

Ghoster by Jason Arnopp

 


I recently signed with a literary agent for my own writing, and after reading my submission, my agent told me my writing style reminded her of this book. I had heard of this novel and seen the buzz surrounding it but had yet to read it. Seeing as my agent brought it up, I thought I ought to read it.

 

Ghosting, where someone ceases all communication with somebody, stops replying to their messages, perhaps even deletes them or blocks them on social media, and all without any explanation, is a product of the social media age. Kate Collins has been ghosted. She’s met Scott Palmer, seemingly the man of her dreams, and after a whirlwind romance she’s agreed to move in with him. But he ghosts her and right before she’s due to move in. 

 

Kate drives down from Leeds to Brighton anyway but finds his flat completely empty, stripped of all furniture and belongings, the only thing being his phone. When she manages to figure out his password and get access to the phone, she finds all manner of disturbing content and disconcerting messages. Then there are the strange whispering phone calls from numbers and people she doesn’t know. And just what is causing the gouges on the inside of the front door?

 

Ghoster is a supernatural chiller for the modern age. This s a brilliant novel, fantastically plotted and written. Kate is a sympathetic and compelling character, while the supporting cast is strong too. This is the first novel by the author that I’ve read, but it won’t be the last and I’m going to have to dig out his back catalogue. 

 

As said at the outset of this review, I read this title after my literary agent mentioned him. I just hope that I can write as well as him because he’s set a high benchmark!

 

5 out of 5 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment