Monday 8 September 2014

Skinjob


Firstly, let me say that this isn't the kind of book I would normally read. Sci Fi normally leaves me a little cold. But I was given a review copy through Net Galley and so read it.

I have to say that I'm glad I did.

I have seen some other reviews of this title that are lukewarm. Reviewers have said that some of the characters are underdeveloped and that the author goes a little over the top in his description of the technological advances in the world he envisages.

I have to say that I totally disagree with all that.

To me this book was pitch perfect. The characters were well drawn and attracted my sympathy. The plot was well thought through and held together perfectly. There were twists, as one would expect, but none were too obvious or laboured.

But best of all was the world the author envisages. Set in the near future, it is frighteningly realistic. The near total tracking software and CCTV coverage is already around the corner, as is law enforcement's use of drones. Add in a sinister cultish church and the "skinjobs" themselves and we are given a treat of a thriller.

I would definitely read more from this author and award the book 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment